Sunday, May 15, 2005

Holiness

My small group and I are reading a book called Returning to Holiness by Dr. Gregory Frizzell. It was intended to be a pre-emptive cleansing period for churches and pastors before revivals. We are using it as our Bible study for the summer.

The first section that we covered was on the sins of thoughts. Not just those obvious ones that we, as Christians are ashamed of because we know that they are wrong, but on those thoughts that we don't take time to consider there origin, the motives behind them, and the alternatives that we could be thinking about instead. I confess that there are many times that I don't do this. I fill my brain, and subsequently my heart, with the excessiveness of this world and the waste that goes with it. I rarely take time to spend the energy focusing on God and all that He has blessed me with in the 22 years that I have spent on this world.

I strive to be as authentic of a person that I can be. I want (and need) to take the time to consciencely audit my thoughts. The old adage of garbage in, garbage out is taking on a whole new meaning. I don't want to be fake. I want God to take a hold of my life in a whole new way, in a whole new meaning than ever before. I believe that I am on the road in that direction. I need the steadfastness of God's hands to sustain me. Hold me, Father, to the contract that I signed in my heart, when I was a young girl. Hold onto me in all that I do.

No comments: